Puglia and Salento the heel of Italy’s boot
Puglia and Salento the heel of Italy’s boot, nestled between the Adriatic and Ionian seas, lies the captivating region of Puglia, also known as the ‘Heel of the Italy’s boot’. For centuries this stretch of land has been the gateway to the East and has been home to numerous civilizations, including Greeks, Romans, Spanish and Turks, who have left a deep mark in the architecture, food and local dialects.
Puglia will surprise you with its picturesque landscape, ancient hilltop towns, emerald waters, and lush farmlands dotted by endless groves of silvery-gray olive trees, low drystone walls hugging agricultural plots the size of throw-rugs. Here you’ll find the people welcoming and down-to-earth. The cuisine fresh, rustic and satisfying, with simple, tasty dishes such “orecchiette” pasta served with a sauce of turnip-tops or fresh tomato and sheep’s ricotta-cheese, and “burrata” (soft mozzarella and cream cheese). This region is a real food lovers paradise: welcome to your perfect escape, welcome to Puglia. Follow us on Facebook!
HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS HOLIDAY
- Enjoy local produce cheese, olive oil and wine tasting
- Unbeatable views of ancient olive groves, whitewashed villages and age-old farmhouses
- Walk on quiet one-lane orchard roads, cooled by sea breezes, under big blue skies
- World Heritage sites of Otranto, Lecce, Gallipoli
- Countryside with a maze of prehistoric caves
- Dine on homemade Pugliese dishes
- Traditional fresh pasta: Orecchiette, Troccoli
- Wines and liqueurs: Primitivo di Manduria, Negroamaro di Terra d’Otranto, Castel del Monte, Amaro del Gargano, l’Ambrosia
- Burrata, pallone di Gravina, sgagliozze, scapece