Tuscany countryside walks through Casentino, Chianti and Crete senesi
Tuscany countryside walks through Casentino, Chianti and Crete senesi, departing Florence, our ride takes us through some of the most beautiful mountain scenery in Italy as we head to The Casentino, a vast forest National Park in the northern Apennine Mountains. Although situated in the centre of Italy, in Tuscany, this area of heavily wooded peaks is utterly remote in atmosphere and the nature has remained largely unchanged since the last glaciers receded.
The vast tracts of unspoiled wilderness harbours healthy populations of red deer, roe deer, fallow deer, wild boar and even the Apennine wolf. Franciscan and Benedictine monks established monasteries here in the Middle ages and are still present today: Inside the park there are two points of great interest and spiritual importance: the Sanctuary of La Verna and the Hermitage of Camaldoli, both with a long History which goes back to the medieval time. Follow us on Facebook!
HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS HOLIDAY
- Visit to the magnificent hermitage of La Verna, home of St. Francis
- Visit to the ancient Pharmacy of the medieval monks
- Visit of one of the most ancient forest of Europe
- Famous Tuscan “mountain” cooking
- Traditional fresh pasta: Pici, Fiorentine, Sagnarelli,
- Wines and liqueurs: Chianti, Brunello di Montalcino, Nobile di Montepulciano, Vermentino, Vin Santo
- Olive oil, Grande Vecchio di Montefollonico, Pecorino Toscano, Finocchiona, Finto Tonno